Delivered by Pastor Stella Babalola at the DOZ conference, “Things to Remember and things to forget”, is a message that both men and women, young and old, can make practical in their daily walk with God.
In her introduction, Pastor Babalola emphasized the importance of having the oil in our lives in order to perform the works of God, just as Jesus did. She said, “If Jesus needed to be anointed to fulfill the purpose of God, then we will certainly need it as well.”
“You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.”
Before we can move forward and appropriate God’s purpose for lives on earth, there are certain things that we must forget and others that we must remember. These things, as discussed below, can either compromise or enhance the oil in our lives.
“Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.”
“Praise the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits”
7 Things to Forget
- The mistakes you have made personally – at your job, in your marriage, or things you have said to people. Forget these bad decisions you have made and make the best of your current situation, looking unto Jesus for a new dawn, a new day.
- The evil people have said and done to you – remember that it is not about you; what is at stake is the work of God. Holding back forgiveness prevents God’s oil from flowing in our lives.
- Past failures – if you fail an exam twice, you may require a third try to pass. Don’t stop at your point of failure, don’t not dwell at your level of loss.
- Your sinful past: we are all saved by grace. So long as you remain in the sins of your past, you cannot transcend into the new. It is a new day, a new dawn. If God has forgiven you, then you need to forgive yourself.
- Your achievements/success: whatever we are is what God allows us to be.
- Your kindness and generosity:
“All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.”
The grudges you hold compromise the oil in our lives
7 Things to Remember
- Remember the faithfulness of God:
“I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed.”
- Remember the source of the good things in your life.
“Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.”
- Remember to pray
- Remember the mercies of God: when you ask something from God, instead of doubting, remember what God has done in the past.
- Remember the word of God: there is a word for every situation in your life
- Remember the suffering of Christ: Christ said, “..in this life you will have tribulations”
- Remember that life is too short: you don’t want your life to be shorter. Some things we carry eat us up from the inside, compromising our service to God and our relationships with our spouses.